by Shira & Friends
In the tradition of David Letterman’s “top 10” lists, here’s one to warm the cockles of a belly dancer’s heart! Only, I had more than 10 worthy entries, and didn’t want to give any of them up, so my list is a bit longer….
21. So you can subscribe to magazines with names like “Wiggle Hips”.
20. It doesn’t seem so much like “exercise” when you’re wearing chiffon.
19. So you can entertain yourself at stoplights by practicing chest isolations.
18. The camel saddle you’ve had since the 60’s now fits with your decor!
17. So you can leave a trail of beads, coins, and sequins wherever you go instead of bread crumbs.
16. You can name your cat Mizmar and lots of people you know will get the joke.
15. So you can fend off indecent advances from club owners at 2:00 in the morning.
14. So your spouse can whine to his friends about being a belly dancing widower.
13. So you can actually do something useful with what you learned in those sewing classes you took as a teen-ager.
12. So you can annoy your non-dancing friends and co-workers by begging them to come watch all your shows.
11. So strangers will tuck money into your clothing or shower it over your head.
10. So strangers will invite you to their parties.
9. So you can have a perfectly good reason to tote around a sword.
8. So you can enjoy the improvement in your sex life.
7. So you can finally learn how to work your CD/tape player.
6. So friends will start buying you little camel statues.
5. So you can have yet another excuse for rummaging through thrift shops in search of bargains.
4. So you can find yourself singing along to lyrics in a foreign language with no idea of what they mean.
3. So you can get a giggle out of watching people’s expressions when you tell them what you do for fun.
2. So you can shock your old high school classmates by showing up in costume at the next high school reunion and doing a full show.
And the Number 1 reason to be a belly dancer:
1. Costumes! Costumes! Costumes! Costumes! Costumes! Costumes!
(Source: Belly Dancing)